The Do’s of doing SEO for your e-commerce website are:
- Keyword research: Start your e-commerce SEO with keyword research. eCommerce development and SEO agency can help you do keyword research for your e-commerce website. eCommerce development will list all pages on your website and appropriate keyword to each page.
For e-commerce website the 3 pages that required Organic SEO Service are the home page, category page and the product page.
It is important that you get an inventory of the pages on your e-commerce website. You should prioritize your pages by first optimizing the most important pages. You should also map keywords for each page by using Ahrefs Site Explorer.
- On-page SEO: Make sure you optimize your descriptions, Meta titles and H1’s. It is not advisable to use a template approach for your e-commerce website as it makes it difficult for you to optimize each page. You should create unique templates for your e-commerce website, write optimized tags for important pages, include your primary keywords and action words, use long-tail keywords variations and mention your USP such as free shipping and free returns.
Tips for writing e-commerce URLs include keeping them short, including your primary keyword, making your hierarchy clear, using hyphens and trying your best to avoid URL parameters.
Make sure you write unique descriptions for your products and categories so that visitors know more about what you offer and Google can understand your page more.
Best SEO agency can help you add Schema markup as it is eye-catching and it increases the click-through rate (CTR), traffic and sales of your e-commerce website. According to Webmaster Guidelines, “Add markup to your product pages so Google can provide detailed product information in rich search results – including Image Search. Users can see price, availability, and review ratings right on Search results.”
- Link building: Ways to get links include finding sites that link to your competitor’s homepages and then look for replicable sources of links such as forums, link pages and niche directories. You should also try to get features on manufacturers pages.
- Content marketing: For content marketing in your e-commerce website you have to create something that is link-worthy. It is important that you create relevant and add internal links.
- Engaging and valuable content: You should have engaging and valuable content in your e-commerce website.
- Get backlinks from relevant websites: To improve your e-commerce website you have to improve your search engine optimization (SEO) by getting backlinks from relevant websites that are in you industry.
- Focus on SEO basics: You should optimize your title tags and meta descriptors, use internal links to improve key pages on your e-commerce website and you should include long-tail keywords in descriptions.
- Think big: You have to be consistent in your messaging across al channels and within your product descriptions. You should also make sure your site structure is SEO friendly.
- Monitor your backlinks: eCommerce development can keep track of the backlinks of your e-commerce website. You can also monitor your backlinks by using the Monitor Backlinks SEO tool.
- Unique product descriptions: Do not use the same descriptions for products that are slightly different as it will affect your search ranking. You should write unique content for all products on your eCommerce website.
- Allow customer reviews: You should allow customers to review your products and services. Reviews will provide you with unique and fresh content which Google wants. Positive reviews will also increase conversion and sales.
- Test: You can test different variations of your product page by using tools such as Optimizely and Optimize by Google. For example the colour of your call-to-action (CTA) can impact your business goals. All you need to do is to test different variations.
- User experience: SEO improves the user experience of your e-commerce website. It makes your website easy to navigate.
- Mobile optimized: With SEO, your e-commerce website will be optimized for mobile. Most shoppers will not recommend an online store that has a mobile site that is poorly designed.
- Page speed: SEO helps improve the page speed of your e-commerce website. Improving the speed of your e-commerce website will help you attain your e-commerce goals.
- Create a sitemap: Creating a sitemap for your e-commerce website will help search engines crawl and index your e-commerce website pages.
The don’ts of SEO for your e-commerce website are:
- Do not steal product descriptions: It is important that you do not steal product descriptions from other websites as it negatively impacts your SEO efforts. Stealing product descriptions from other websites will dampen your authenticity.
- Using automated description generators: Your engagement rate and organic search ranking will be affected when you use automated description generators.
- Keyword stuffing: Stay away from keyword stuffing. Write for your audience and avoid stuffing your content with too many keywords.
- Avoid irrelevant links: Your e-commerce website will be penalized if you get links from websites that are not related to yours.
- Do not use PageRank: It is important that you do not use PageRank as a metric to check the value of your backlinks as PageRank is no longer being updated by Google.
- Getting links from blogs: Links from blogs are beneficial in the short-term but harmful in the long-term. When you are caught eventually you will be penalized by search engines such as Google. Try your best to avoid blog networks.
- Do not build your backlinks for your homepage only: You have to make your backlinks process natural. Do not build backlinks only to your homepage
- Using cloaking and doorway pages: E-commerce websites that use cloaking techniques and have doorway pages are devalued by Google.
- Sitewide backlinks: Search engines such as Google will penalize your e-commerce website for having sitewide backlinks.
- Do not sell dofollow links: Your e-commerce website will be penalized if you sell dofollow links.
- Using hidden text and links: You should avoid using hidden text and links as the technique will get you penalized.
- Over optimizing anchor texts: Google Penguin will penalize your e-commerce website if you over optimize your anchor text
- Do not link to penalized websites: Linking to bad websites can affect the value of your e-commerce website.
- Do not plagiarize: It is wrong to duplicate content from other websites. Make sure you have unique content.